Detective Mitchell's Junk Drawer

The random thoughts, ideas, and experiences of the title blogger, plus other things.

Monday, December 25, 2006

"Xanadu" singles that didn't make the cut. Here's your christmas present!



While looking through a box of my parents' old 45s after I got my record player a while back (that eventually had to retire due to a bad motor), I found two singles from the "Xanadu" soundtrack: "Magic" and "Suddenly," However, the other sides of both were more intriguing: "Fool Country" and "You Made Me Love You," two songs featured in the film that didn't make the cut for the album.

"Fool Country" is a combo of the punk and country songs that Newton-John sings during the medley of songs at Xanadu. She makes an admirable attempt at country singing, but we now know why she didn't bother making it a regular part of her repartee.

"You Made Me Love You" is a cover of the 40s classic played when Danny McGuire has a flashback to the 40s, his time in the armed forces and when he first met Newton-John's character. She sings this too, and does a great job.



When I got my new record player, after I ripped "Dead Heat," I decided to rip this one for all those who don't have these and want to have a somewhat more complete "Xanadu" soundtrack, and for fans of Olivia Newton-John in general. Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VW1OUPNS

6 Comments:

Blogger KaBluie said...

Thanks for these! But as for your comment about Olivia & country music "but we now know why she didn't bother making it a regular part of her repartee" is Xanadu the only Olivia Newton-John you've ever heard? Her repartee for about the first 8 years of her career was mostly country. Thanks again for these songs!

December 29, 2006 8:01 AM  
Blogger Rocket From Mars said...

Hi Detective M.---
Really appreciate you posting these two songs.
Xanadu has been a guilty pleasure of mine for years now.
Have a Great Year in 2007,
Rocket From Mars

December 30, 2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger Vinnie Rattolle said...

There's actually another b-side that didn't make it to the album. I think the a-side was "I'm Alive" (could be wrong cuz I don't have it anymore), and the b-side was called "Drum Dreams" by ELO. In the film, "Drum Dreams" is the "Xanadu" chant right before the title song, where Gene Kelley is skating around the club.

January 01, 2007 12:22 PM  
Blogger Detective Mitchell said...

To kabluie:
All I have of her music is the Xanadu soundtrack (on CD), Physical and the Greatest Hits Volume 2 (on LP) and a few assorted singles. Woudl the Grease soundtrack count as well as the soundtrack for Two of a Kind? I didn't know she country primarily for the first eight years. Thanks for setting me straight.

to Vinnie:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for it and will post it when I find it.

January 01, 2007 1:52 PM  
Blogger Rocket From Mars said...

Hi Det. Mitchell---

Here's that other song from Xanadu with another soundtrack bonus from a few years earlier.

http://rapidshare.com/files/9975629/Soundtrack_Extras.zip.html

Hope you enjoy them,

Rocket From Mars

January 02, 2007 6:39 PM  
Blogger sare9295 said...

I'm having trouble with the link to "Drum Dreams" and getting a "file not found". Was the track deleted or am I using the link incorrectly?

February 02, 2007 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home